Friday, October 4, 2013

Working Fire / E. 14th Street

At 9:37 a.m., on the morning of October 4th, 2013, Richmond Firefighters were summoned to the 100 Blk of E. 14th street in the city's Blackwell Neighborhood for reports of a home on fire. As crews were responding, additional information was provided by the Richmond Department of Emergency Communications that there was possibly an elderly male still inside the residence. Quint 13 arrived on scene within minutes to report fire venting from the rear of a single family residence. Crews entered the structure and were able to bring the blaze under control quickly. Firefighters searched the home without finding anyone. It was later learned that no one was home when the fire broke out. No injuries were reported as a result of the incident however the Greater Richmond Chapter of the American Red Cross was requested to assist seven individuals who were displaced.

Monday, February 11, 2013

1608 Mechanicsville Trpk.

On the Morning of Tuesday, February 5th, 2013, RFD's bravest were called to the 1600 block of Mechanicsville Trpk for reports of smoke coming from a 2nd story window of a building. 11 Engine arrived on scene in minutes to report a two story residential duplex with fire and smoke venting from the 2nd floor. Members of Engine 11 initiated an aggressive interior attack on the fire while Quint 1 handled performing Truck Company Operations. Rescue 1 secured the searches of the structure ensuring everyone had made it out safely. The fire was brought under control in about 20 minutes with no injuries being reported. The Greater Richmond Chapter of the American Red Cross was requested to assist the displaced occupants. Richmond Fire Department Investigators determined the fire was "Accidental" in nature and ignited due to an overloaded electrical outlet.

5005 Old Midlothian

On January 23rd, 2013, RFD was called to 5000 blk. of Old Midlothian Turnpike for a reported structure fire. Units arrived within minutes to report heavy fire and smoke consuming approximately ½ of a manufactured home. Noting exposures on sides B, C & D, Quint 20, with the assistance of members from Quint 22 initiated fire attack, while Rescue 3 searched the residence for any occupants. Quint 23 took Truck Work and Quint 17 was Rapid Intervention. The fire was knocked down in a matter of minutes with all searches proving negative. All occupants made it out of the residence safely and no injuries were reported by any personnel on scene. The Greater Richmond Chapter of the American Red Cross was requested to assist four adults who were displaced by the fire. Richmond Fire Investigators determined the fire started when one of the occupants used a handheld butane torch to thaw pipes underneath the home.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Animal Rescue

Just after 1PM today, a Richmond Police Officer was flagged down by a concerned citizen stating that she feared her dog had fallen into a drainage pipe behind their home. The RPD Officer quickly assessed the situation and made an effort to reach the stranded pup but determined that it wasn't safe to enter the culvert any further. Richmond Firefighters were called and members of the departments Technical Rescue Team made entry into the confined space area, where they were able to safely remove "Ramsay".

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Fire Station 17 Ribbon Cutting Ceremony

On November 7th, 2012 at 2 p.m., Richmond Fire and Emergency Services will host a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for the new Fire Station 17 located at 2211 Semmes Ave.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Working Fire / N. Adams Street

In the early afternoon hours of August 31st, Richmond Firefighters were called to the 300 block of N. Adams Street for reports of smoke coming from a building. Crews arrived on scene within minutes to find a multi-story mixed use building with heavy fire & smoke visible from the top floor and roof area. Searches of the residential units on the upper floors revealed that everyone had exited the building safely. The fire was brought under control after a short period of time, but not before the building suffered extensive damage. No injuries were reported and the cause of the blaze remains under investigation.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Working Fire / Minefee St.

On August 27th, an early morning fire displaced an adult woman and her daughter. 911 calls to Richmond Department of Emergency Communications Center stated that there was "smoke coming from a home" in the 1400 block of Minefee Street on the City's Southside. Quint 21 arrived first due to report a single story home with smoke venting from the attic and roofline. The fire was located and confined to the living room area, but the home suffered smoke damage throughout. The Greater Richmond Chapter of the American Red Cross was requested to assist the displaced family. No injuries were reported and the cause of the fire remains under investigation.